What Is This Site
This site is JUST books read aloud by normal (but enthusiastic) readers.
- Children can't navigate away to follow other youtube leads.
- There are only children's books on the site.
- The reading generally only shows the book versus showing the reader.
- Animation on the site is limited to nice editing jobs that zoom to parts of the page.
- The books are frequently reordered to encourage listening to new books.
|Add A Button To Your Site|
- The books are broken down by video length to help match attention span with books.
- All books are listed on the "All" page in alphabetical order.
- The books are grouped by authors who have written multiple books.
- The books are grouped by narrator.
- The books are grouped by category (not all books have been categorized)
- When available, the books are grouped by reading level as assigned by Renaissance Learning www.ARBookFind.com
Books have also been added in Other Languages. The tab with the globe icon labeled "Other Languages" ("Otras idiomas",
"Altre Lingue", "Autres Langues", "Anderen Sprachen") acts as a
portal between the site in different languages. Following the links will take you to a new site entirely
in the target language. To change languages, go to the Other Languages tab and select desired language.
"Suprise Me" option will randomly pick a book from the page you're on. On my wish list is to autoplay random selections, but all in good time.
Youtube's Subtitles Feature NOT RECOMMENDED
Youtube has a feature to turn subtitles on for the videos. The subtitling feature is a youtube software algorithm and is not recommended
for the site as the interpretations of the narrators
is completely in the hands of this highly error prone
algorithm. Listening to books read aloud is an excellent way to increase exposure to a wide variety of books. It works to increase reading comprehension,
to increase vocabulary exposure, to improve next word anticipation skills which are all such important elements in improved reading skills. However, this site is not
intended to be
used with children reading along to the erroneous subtitles.
How to make our children strong readers
We can all agree we want our children to be strong readers. I consider making our children into strong readers is one of the greatest gifts we can give our children. Read more on the Priceless Benefits of Reading to Your Child.
Being Used by Schools
It's great fun to see schools adding the site to their resource pages. Some of the Schools/Libraries/Foundations I know of referring parents:
- Utah State Library (UT) - http://blindlibrary.utah.gov/children/index.html
- American Foundation for The Blind - www.afb.org
- Horicon Elementary (WI) - http://www.horicon.k12.wi.us/elementarybooksreadaloudonline.cfm
- iDevice Blog - http://ideviceinthemtns.blogspot.com/2012/11/just-books-read-aloud.html
- Oregon Elementary (OR)
- Impler Elementary (OR)
- Willard Elementary (MO)
- Topeka Public Schools (KS)
- Wake County Public Schools(NC)
- New Hampshire Elementary (NH)
- DueWest Elementary (GA)
- Echo School District (OR)
- Kirksville Public Schools (MO)
- Moorpark Unified School District (CA)
- Lincoln Elementary School Moodle (AL)
- Denton Independent School District (TX)
- International School (Russia)
- Lexington Elementary (KY) - http://missbacksclass.weebly.com/students.html
My children LOVE to be read to but I don't always have time to do it.
iPad apps irritated me in that they continually make reading about buying another substandard book. Reading internet sites are difficult to navigate for my
little ones and seem more full of games and animation than just books.
I want to instill a love of reading books - not a love of watching pseudo television and online shopping.
So I compiled this group of videos to appease my voracious "readers". I hope your little ones enjoy.
For The Visually Impaired
Then I was contacted by a visually impaired mother who wanted to use this with her son. We worked together to make it compatible with the JAWS screen
reader. The site can be completely navigated with a tab and enter key. All images are text tagged. There are stand alone text hyperlinks for JAWS compatibility.
All images are also hyperlinked for 2-year old steerability. Please contact me if there are other adjustments that I can make to tailor to other disabilities.
I have received multiple requests for easy links to buy the books the children have heard on the site for family home libraries. As we all know,
there is no replacing holding a book in your own hands and hearing a familiar voice read it. As such, I've added hopefully a discrete yet convenient link on the side to make
it easy to find the book and purchase. This makes JustBooksReadAloud a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program,
an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Proceeds
will help support and promote children's literacy efforts.
Buy a Hard Copy